I know, I know. How many blogs does one woman need? My defense is that this is the real Sydney-blog. More Than a City in Australia is telling the story of Sydney's life from her mother's point of view. It's important. It's valid. It's the story I can tell and I want to tell it.
But let's be honest: As much as you love your mother, do you want her writing your memoirs?
This past summer, Rachel convinced me to give Sydney a freer reign with the camera, pointing out that Will's pictures are often a unique glimpse into what he thinks is important and how he sees the world. The result of this experiment to let Sydney take pictures was really exciting. I blogged about her pictures during our last Houston trip and it got me thinking that she may need her own camera sooner than I would have thought.
So, we bought ourselves a new camera and gave the old Cannon to Sydney and now we find ourselves going places and Jeremy and I are taking our pictures and Sydney is taking her own, which begs the question: How do I mesh the blog I'm writing with Sydney's new found ability to show off her own point of view? Do I post my pictures and then hers and label carefully? What about her captioning? Do I let her tell me what to write? If she's telling me what to write, am I losing my point of view?
And so a new blog was born. Through Sydney's Eyes.
My intention is to publish mostly just her pictures. If she is ever interested in captioning the pictures, I will type as she directs. So, if you see text on this blog (other than this introductory post), know that it is also hers.
What a wonderful idea
ReplyDeleteI LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteRebecca, you just keep amazing me with your parenting skills and creativity.
ReplyDeleteLove the idea and love you!